Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Definitely not your grandmother's fellatio.

"I think all of us would rather have oral sex than throat cancer."

Yes, Mike I think we would. Especially early in the morning. Today in Journalism we discussed a photo that appeared on the cover of a Florida college newspaper of a guy performing cunnilingus on a scantily dressed woman. The photo caused a stir of controversy about whether or not it was relevant to the story of people possibly developing throat cancer after having oral sex with people who are infected with HPV. It sparked quite the debate in class about the boundaries in journalism and whether or not the story could have been sold without the photo. Now personally I think that the story was relevant to college students and I wouldn't have needed the photo to pick the paper up and read, but I don't see any reason that the newspaper should have been penalized for it. In fact I like the photo. Not for journalistic reasons, but because of the taboo subject matter given and the roles that were assigned to the man and woman. It's not you typical oral sex scene, well it is for most people but not the kind that gets printed often. It is rare that women get shown in a position of power in a sex scene. Very often its the woman performing the act on a man and the scene is very lewd and crude. I appreciated the photo chosen by the newspaper and the clean and powerful image that they produced. Oral sex, especially cunnilingus is still the naughty no-no for many  (silly) people and it was nice to see college students who have moved past a back of the bus lipstick game.

Remember to get yourself checked.


Outside of journalism, but still in the realm of writing, I have decided to make my fiction piece more pulpy and exaggerated. I got a lot of surprising feedback from my classmates. They loved the story and they want me to push the limits with it. I think tonight when I get back I'm going to revise another draft so I have a hard copy to give to My Hebrew Friend to go over for me. I think I'll just print him out a copy this time and let him write all over it. I found it most helpful when people wrote on their so I knew exactly where to go back and make changes with it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment