Friday, April 6, 2012

Sidney Versus

I'm a little embarrassed and slightly ashamed to admit this, but when my Hebrew friend showed me this trailer for Lola Versus and said that the lead girl reminded him of me I grudgingly had to agree. I don't follow horoscopes, I don't match myself up with anyone of the women in Sex and the City the way my friends do, and I don't have a celebrity doppelganger. I honestly don't see the point of relating myself to fiction like that because isn't like their at all...but then I saw the trailer. It was like someone had taken snapshot of my future and make a full length feature out of it.


So maybe the movie is not a close accurate depiction, but there are some strong resemblances between Greta Gerwig's character and my own life. For instance like Lola I tend to get easily stressed and "power eat" in a desperate attempt to feel better only to feel eve worse afterwards, I've been brutally dumped by guys who decide to they weren't looking for relationships after all only to be in committed ones a week later which in turn leads to a bout of pseudo promiscuity, I trip over my feet easily despite years of dance and skating, I have a good friend who could easily stand in for Hamish Linklater, and don't get me started on Cinderella. It's definitely not an accurate representation of me, but it comes close which I'm really starting to hate because if that's how people see me then I really suck. Or maybe that's just the Bella Syndrome talking.

I want to hear more about Hebrew friend's thoughts because like me he doesn't think that anyone can ever really see themselves in movies because it's not real life, so for him to say something like that is interesting? It's also the Jewish Seder meal tonight so I'm hoping to score some yummy post-Passover food after work too. I have a freakish love of matzoh bread wafers and bitter herbs. Catholic fail. 

1 comment:

  1. It's not real life, but the hopeless romantic in me loves the cheesy happy endings that come with many Hollywood romantic comedies. Deep down I want my own cheesy happy ending which is why I so often connect with fictitious characters. That's one thing I love about fiction: the idea of creating your ideal dreams, thoughts, and endings that may not be possible in real life.

    ReplyDelete